There is never a dull day with Sir. There is never a day without learning something new - He does not take classes on costing. His principle is to teach people on a need-to-know basis. He assigns you to a project, lets you feel your way around; when in doubt he answers questions, demands his output and gets it out of you the way he wants! A task-master, knowledge-storehouse, avid reader, (Sam says he reads everything from newspapers to soap wrappers)awesome orator and a great writer - you name it, that he is.. You can not but feel humbled in his presence.
There were times when I have stared open-mouthed at the way he comes up with solutions or his insights in the subject that can never be found in any book. There have been times when I've been unable to understand his conceptualization and chose to note down his words and think over it later - trust me, I once took 5 solid hours to understand his theory. He taught me costing; he taught me to think before I talk. He taught me what it means to be a Cost Accountant.
He tells so many cute little funny stories and inspirational stories. You know, when he remembers a good funny story, he tries to hide his smile and his lips start twitching a little. but only to sustain the suspense of a good story, he restrains from laughing, very calmly narrates the story with twinkling eyes.. and throws his head back and laughs. This might look like a very unnecessary detail - but to me, these are the very details that makes me get in touch with the person beneath the professional exterior.
He can quote chapter and verse from Accounting Standards and rules in Information Systems as well as he can quote verses from Wordsworth's poems. He can command attention and acceptance so effortlessly. When he makes a presentation, you can not help listening to him! There was this one time when we were trying so hard to convince the client about a flaw in their system. Sir came for a meeting and when he listened to what it was.. He simply told him in his trademark booming voice - "Mr. ..., as a Chartered Accountant and as a member of ASB, I can tell you with authority that what you are doing is not right" - and that settled it! I could only watch open-mouthed.
I know that the experience I gain here is invaluable. I can surely say that Mr. Murali Prasad changed my life - He showed me that it is definitely possible to fall in love with what you do! Sir, you are truly awesome and awe-inspiring!
No comments:
Post a Comment